IDEA Debate Program
IDEA (International Debate Association – www.idebate.org) supports debate, human rights and civic education worldwide. IDEA is a network of independent organizations with offices in Brussels, Amsterdam, London, New York, Leon (Mexico) and Skopje (Macedonia). IDEA operates innovative youth civic education programs internationally, providing assistance to debate, educational, and civil society organizations as well as individuals.
Through debate – a powerful means of encouraging critical thinking, personal expression and tolerance for the opinions of others –IDEA provides young people with an opportunity to examine issues affecting their lives and their communities. To this end, IDEA creates broad and inclusive debate clubs that encourage participation by all segments of the population, including ethnic minorities, and establishes independent, national debate associations to promote, organize, and sustain debate activities in countries throughout the world. IDEA has developed on-line resources for a global debating community (including resources in languages other than English – for the resources in Russian please check ru.idebate.org)
IDEA has been involved in promoting debate education in Central Asia, working together with Open Society Foundations in Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and Tajikistan. IDEA organized two editions of the Aitmatov Cup and has developed an Open Society Debates TV program, in cooperation with OTRK. IDEA is registered as an NGO in Kyrgyzstan.
IDEA is seeking a dynamic, motivated individual, committed to IDEA’s mission, who will assist IDEA with developing and sustaining its operations in Central Asia, working as the Executive Director of IDEA Central Asia. This person must be willing to live and work in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
The Executive Director will report to the Board of Directors of IDEA Central Asia.
Primary Objectives and Responsibilities Include:
- Develop and implement a strategy for sustainable development of debate program in the Central Asia;
-Coordinate development of debate initiatives in Central Asia, with a special focus on Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and Tajikistan;
- Establish and maintain contacts with appropriate local, national and regional organizations, donors and international organizations with the view to promote and sustain debate program
- Engage in fundraising activities in the region and internationally in order to achieve long-term sustainability of the program
- Manage IDEA’s office in Bishkek and its staff, including assuring that its operations are in accordance with the Kyrgyz law and best international practices
* Minimum BA degree or equivalent
* Demonstrated knowledge and experience in program management
* Excellent spoken and written Russian and English communication skills
* Excellent inter-personal skills with the ability to communicate effectively
* Excellent organizational skills
* Experience with basic computer programs such as MS Office
*Proven track record in fundraising, especially at the regional and international level
*Background in strategic planning and development with evidence of planned strategies being implemented
* Specific knowledge of debate, critical thinking, human right education programs or related fields
* Experience working in the region
* Ability to speak one or more languages of the region
* Experience with event organizing
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Duration of Assignment: 24 months starting approximately May 1st 2013
How to Apply:
Send resume, cover letter and salary requirements in English by March 31th 2013 to: firstname.lastname@example.org